After living in Germany for almost 4 years, some of the German culture rubbed off on us. One of our favorite German traditions we incorporated into our family is celebrating the first day of school with a Schultüte! In less than 10 minutes you can make your own DIY German Schultüte, a fun back-to-school tradition that kids love!
You may be asking yourself, “What is a Schultüte?”.
Basically, it’s a big cone that parents or grandparents give kids to celebrate the start of the new school year. A Schultüte is filled with school supplies, treats and goodies. It’s a fun and simple way to make the first day of school just that much sweeter.
DIY German Schultüte
Making a German schultute for back to school is super easy. It’s a 10 minute or less craft, and doesn’t take any real crafting talent. Win, win!
- Poster paper
- Tissue paper
- Stickers to decorate
- Ribbon to close it up
- Goodies to fill it with (see below for ideas)
- Roll your poster into a cone shape and tape it shut. I trimmed off the pointy top corner to make it more coned shape.
- Tape or glue tissue paper inside the top of the cone. Go all the way around. This is the only tricky part. You may have to overlap your tissue paper so that when you close it, there are no gaps.
- Fill your Schultüte with treats and goodies!
- Gently gather your tissue paper on the top of your cone and tie it shut with ribbon.
- Decorate with stickers, their name, or fun doodles.
- Give your Schultüte to the new student on the first day of school, or night before and have fun watching them tear into it!
I decorated their back to school Schultütes with kittens and cupcakes for my sweet girl and colorful dinosaurs for my little guy.
What to put in a German Schultüte?
Traditionally, it was filled with candy and sweets but I opted to fill ours with back to school themed goodies. Supplies they could use and would get them excited about school, as well as a snack/treat.
Here are some sneak peeks of what I put in my kids’ Schultütes.
- Yoobi notebook
- Inspiring pencils + pencil sharpener (Target dollar section!)
- Num Noms– series 4.1
- Fun Yoobi erasers
- Goldfish snacks
Celebrate education and learning this year with your own DIY German Schultüte. Summer is fun but let’s make heading back to school a celebration too!
You May Also Like….
For another fun back to school tradition, check out our review on Back To School With Mac!
Please Note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click and buy something we may receive compensation, which helps us buy coffee and support our families. This is not a sponsored post. Thank you!