Kind Kids Club: No-Sew Blanket

Posted in Create, Kid Craft, Kind Kids Club, Parenting
on January 23, 2017

Before the new year, my neighbor and I decided to start a Kind Kids Club for our kiddos in 2017. Each month we would do something “kind” with our kids. January rolled around and I read the book Wonder in the first few weeks. It was such an emotional and touching story of kindness and empathy following the life of August, a 10 year old boy with a facial deformity, going to public school the first time.

Kinder than is necessary. Because it’s not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed.” – Wonder

And, so even though we hadn’t officially started our Kind Kids Club yet, I was ready to hit the ground running.

To be kinder than necessary.

To help teach and encourage kindness in my kids, in an organic way. So, I came up with this easy no-sew blanket to make with my daughter. Something that we could make with our own hands to show that we care. A made-with-love craft that even beginners can make!

Since it’s the middle of winter, my daughter and I decided that we would donate our no-sew blanket to a local shelter to be used by a kid there. It’s double layered for extra warmth and hopefully the cheerful colors will brighten their day.

No-sew Blanket

Step 1: Choose 2 coordinate pieces of fleece. We choose this gorgeous watercolor fleece fabric and a matching minty green to be the back. I suggest using 1.5 yards to create a child size blanket. 1 yard makes a good size blanket too, but would only work for a smaller child or baby. Of course you could always go bigger and make a 2 yard blanket.

Step 2: Layer the two pieces of fabric together and trim your edges to even them up, remove any fabric info and to make sure they line up correctly.

Step 3: Cut out a 4 x 4 inch square from each corner of your blanket.

Step 4: Cut strips – 4 inches long and 1 inch apart, along all four sides of your blanket. Kind of like a fringe.

Step 5: Fold your “fringe” back at the base and snip a small cut in the middle of each fringe piece. Maybe 1/2 inch, just big enough to loop your fabric through in the following step.

Step 6: Fold back both layers of the fringe and loop through the snip.

Step 7: Pull your fringe loop tight. My daughter calls this little fortune cookies. They help your blanket lay flatter and then you don’t have knots around the edges.

Kids are great helpers for this part. My daughter and I sat across the table from each other and just talked while we worked on this blanket.

And there you have it, our first Kind Kids Club project, a no-sew blanket!

Be sure to check back each month to see what activity we do with our kids as part of our Kind Kids Club for 2017!

Join the conversation – Tell us what kind things you’ve done lately!

For holiday gift ideas, visit Giving the 2017 Kid + Kin Holiday Guide.

giving kid + kin holiday guide

Beer Advent Calendar

48 Comments

• karen

Love the vibe of your post with spreading kindness and teaching your daughter active ways to demonstrate love to others. These blankets are also super cozy looking – and how easy to make!

January 30, 2017 at 6:06 pm Reply
  • Jessi

This looks so fun! I cannot sew to save my life. My husband got me a sewing machine one year and I haven’t figured out how to even properly thread it yet haha

January 30, 2017 at 8:02 pm Reply
    • Catherine Murton

This no-sew blanket will be perfect for you then!

January 31, 2017 at 1:54 am Reply
  • Ana De- Jesus

I cannot even believe that this blanket has been made without sewing! I love the vibrancy of the colours and it is nice that you are teaching your daughter the gift of love x

January 30, 2017 at 10:14 pm Reply
  • CoCo

I love these types of blankets but have never tied them the way you chose to! I will try this way next time to see how they hold up in comparison!

January 30, 2017 at 11:04 pm Reply
  • Janel Berchielli

I love no sew blankets. Actually my 21 year old daughter made one for me for xmas this year. It was a very kind and thoughtful gift I will cherish forever.

January 30, 2017 at 11:22 pm Reply
  • Adrienne

I always wanted to make one of these as a kid! I might just have to head to Joann’s and make one for myself! So easy and adorable!

January 30, 2017 at 11:49 pm Reply
  • Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh

I love how simple this is to make! These would also make great doggie blankets…or stuffing them with a cheap dollar store pillow for a doggie bed.

January 31, 2017 at 12:46 am Reply
  • Jacqui @FlightsFancyMom

Gosh, it’s been years since I made a no sew blanket. I did mine a little different though. I tied my strips into knots :). The solid color would show on the design side and the design strip would show on the plain side 🙂

January 31, 2017 at 1:26 am Reply
  • Lindsey Paris

I did a Christmas blanket tutorial like this a few years ago. I found it super helpful to use frog tape to mark my “cut up to here” line instead of using a ruler, but both work!

January 31, 2017 at 1:45 am Reply
    • Catherine Murton

Oh good tip! I’ll have to try that next time!

January 31, 2017 at 1:53 am Reply
    • Catherine Murton

Oh good tip! I’ll try that next time!

January 31, 2017 at 1:55 am Reply
  • Debra

We love these blankets – we have one for every member of the family and the best part is – grandma made them.

January 31, 2017 at 4:24 am Reply
  • Maureen @Scoops of Joy

The blanket looks so lovely and so easy to make that even someone who pretty much sucks at sewing like myself could probably pull off 😀

January 31, 2017 at 5:22 am Reply
  • Alyssa Ruane

I absolutely love this idea. Although I don’t have kids, that doesn’t mean I can’t make more of an effort to be kinder to others! You’ve inspired me to get back into volunteering. Xo

January 31, 2017 at 4:17 pm Reply
  • Brandi with Big Fit Fam

I love these blankies, though I have never seen this method of tying the ends! They are so cute and simple, great for gifts!

January 31, 2017 at 4:21 pm Reply
  • Tereza

This is so clever! I love DIY but I’m dreadful at sewing things together. This is a perfect project for me haha! x

January 31, 2017 at 5:09 pm Reply
  • Rachel @ Kitchen Cents

I love these kinds of blankets and this one turned out so great. Thanks for sharing.

January 31, 2017 at 5:47 pm Reply
  • Nicola

I am constantly going on at my children to be kind. There is no more important trait in a human being in my opinion. I love the no sew blanket idea too!

January 31, 2017 at 6:55 pm Reply
  • michelle mink

I love reading about parents teaching their kids about kindness and giving to others. No sew blankets are a simple but excellent way to help others. The pattern on the blanket is really cute!

January 31, 2017 at 8:50 pm Reply
  • Reesa Lewandowski

Oh I just love the idea of this club!!! A few years ago I made these for my kids and it was such a fun and easy project. We still have the blankets and they are so warm! They used to be great for them when they were in strollers.

January 31, 2017 at 9:10 pm Reply
  • Heather L.

What a beautiful idea for the kids. We’ve made the no-sew blankets for a variety of occasions, but we’ve always knotted them. I like the look of the method that you used. I bet it’s easier for the kids as well. Very nice!

January 31, 2017 at 9:28 pm Reply
  • Cara (@StylishGeek)

I can’t believe this really adorable thing is that easy to do! Totally love it! Thanks for you DIY on this blanket. I will definitely give it a try!

January 31, 2017 at 11:33 pm Reply
  • Krystel @ Planning The Magic

No way!!! First off, love the reason behind this or what you did with the blanket. When I first read the title, I was pretty confused as to how this was possible. Great idea!

February 1, 2017 at 1:41 am Reply
  • Amber Nelson

We have made several of these blankets. They are so much fun to make and they are so cozy!

February 1, 2017 at 3:16 am Reply
  • Jalisa

This is so lovely and something I would love to make just for myself lol.

February 1, 2017 at 3:27 am Reply
  • Tara Holland

This is a great tutorial. We make no sew blankets all the time and I often have people ask me to make them as gifts.

February 1, 2017 at 4:23 am Reply
  • Angela Ricardo

As a military wife who could barely handle her busy schedule I am truly glad I came across your post. The blankets are really sweet and that will be very helpful to those people who need them more. Be Kinder always!

February 1, 2017 at 9:30 am Reply
  • Rachel

These are always so cute to make for teens or new moms. I got one and loved it. I love that they are so simple!

February 1, 2017 at 5:46 pm Reply
  • Kecia | OnlineIncomeMom

I have no idea how to sew, but I think I could master this! I love the idea of doing kind things with your kids. It’s important to teach them to give back and be nice to others.

February 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm Reply
  • Courteney Noonan

This is such a cute DIY! I might make a blanket like this for my little sister – it’d go so well with her room

February 1, 2017 at 7:29 pm Reply
  • Rose Sahetapy

Absolutely love this post for two reasons: sharing the kindness, and the blanket itself. You create a new look on this blanket in a very creative way, and it’s so easy to make.

February 1, 2017 at 8:09 pm Reply
  • HilLesha

Sadly, I don’t know how to sew at all. That is why this project would be perfect for someone like me. Thank you for sharing the tutorial!

February 2, 2017 at 4:21 am Reply
  • Amanda Love

What a fun and easy craft! I always like the no sew ones because they take minimal effort for you to finish, plus you don’t have to deal with needles either! I would love to try and makes this for my daughter.

February 2, 2017 at 6:23 am Reply
  • Jennifer (JenuineMom)

I adore these no-sew blankies. We had several in our house when my son was young and he used to love to sleep and play with them. Now that I think of it, where did those blankies go? Hmm. I should make some new ones!

February 2, 2017 at 12:58 pm Reply
  • Robin Rue

This is a project that I can get down with. I am not a huge sewing person and so this right here I feel like I could do without screwing it completely up. Adorable!

February 2, 2017 at 2:14 pm Reply
  • Krystle Cook

A blanket that I don’t have to sew to make my own sounds like a dream. This would make a perfect gift too!

February 2, 2017 at 2:15 pm Reply
  • Chelsea Damon

This is such a great activity to do with kids! They can be proud of their work and use it!

February 2, 2017 at 7:10 pm Reply
  • Tabitha Shakespeare

I love the idea of doing this together as a family! The fabric that you chose is so adorable!

February 2, 2017 at 8:20 pm Reply
  • Brittany

I love this type of blanket! My mom made all of my kids one of these and they loved it. They got to choose the fabric and even help tie the edges!

February 3, 2017 at 4:51 am Reply
  • Tasha

I can’t believe how simple this blanket was to make! I’m going to head to Joann’s this weekend to pick up some fleece for this!

February 6, 2017 at 1:33 am Reply
  • katriza

I love no sew blankets! I absolutely suck at sewing so this is totally right up my alley! My favorite part is that this is an easy project, one that I can get my young kids involved in doing! So simple! I always use the fleece ones and I use them in bed with me too! love em!

February 6, 2017 at 4:00 am Reply
  • Gina Nielsen

Love the idea thanks for sharing!

November 12, 2017 at 10:14 pm Reply
  • Danielle

Where did you find that fleece? I just love it!

November 14, 2017 at 1:41 pm Reply
    • Catherine Murton

November 17, 2017 at 10:50 am Reply
    • Catherine Murton

Thank you! I found this particular pattern at Joann’s but Amazon has some pretty fleece too!

November 17, 2017 at 11:02 am Reply
  • Cynthia Vasquez gonzalez

November 19, 2017 at 10:47 am Reply
  • Cynthia Vasquez gonzalez

Thank you for deciding to donate to the shelter hand made with love blankets! You two changed lives with your love ! Not only did it keep all warm, seeing cheerful colors May I add it keep us safe more than you know! Heavenly Father look at what they did to Heal, Hallelujah! Inspired to make blankets from this site because you touch my soul.

November 19, 2017 at 10:50 am Reply